OUR CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
STAR SWIMMING ACADEMY
A Multi Award Winning Learn To Swim School
It is essential that children and young people participating in our swimming lessons and other pool activities are able to do so in a safe and secure environment.
All Star Swimming Academy officials are therefore required to undertake enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks through its disclosure service.
The Star Swimming Academy recognises that all those directly involved in the Academy and its activities have a responsibility to:
- Provide a safe environment for children and young people to enjoy swimming lessons and water based activities whilst in the care of officials and instructors of the Star Swimming Academy.
- Take the interests of its members into account in all its activities.
Promote the health and welfare of its members through a relationship of mutual trust.
- Take all practical steps to protect its members from physical, sexual or emotional harm by:
- Recognising abuse.
Treating all suspicions and allegations of abuse seriously.
Responding in an appropriate way to children who disclose they are being abused
- Providing a structure to deal sympathetically with abuse.
The Star Swimming Academy therefore requires and encourages all instructors and officials to attend suitable training (such as that given by Sports Coach UK) so that they are able to:
- Understand what child abuse means.
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of each category of child abuse.
- Identify the foundations of good practice in child protection.
- Review their own practices to ensure that it complies with recognised codes of conduct.
- Ensure that their own behaviour and conduct is always beyond reproach to prevent exposure to false allegation.
- Take appropriate action if concerns are raised which suggest a child is abused.
- Deal sensitively and effectively with the issue should it arise.
- Identify appropriate action if abuse is suspected.
Take any swimmers’ or parents’ concerns seriously and deal with them confidentially.
- Recognise the roles and responsibilities of other agencies/organisations.
If you would like to raise a matter with us regarding our child protection policy or any other issues regarding the well being of a child under our supervision, please contact by email Mike Caffrey, who is the Child Protection Officer for the Star Swimming Academy.